Most people consider their homes a safe haven and aren’t very concerned with health and safety issues while behind their own doors. Unfortunately, there are several hidden dangers lurking in most homes; but if you know about them, you can address them.
- Mold. It only takes about 12 to 24 hours for mold to start growing. Mold spores love moisture, so clean up any spills or leaks quickly. If you’ve already got a mold problem, it will continue to grow as spores spread, so speak to a professional removal company. Mold can cause severe respiratory issues if not cleaned up.
- Pesticides. Think your home is pesticide-free? Moth balls, bug spray, bee killer, mouse poison and flea shampoo all harbor hazardous chemicals. They even hang out in wallpaper and pressure-treated wood. Especially dangerous to children, keep all pesticides locked up and replace decorative or building materials that you find suspect.
- Lead. Although banned in consumer products since 1978, older homes still harbor lead in their paint, pipes and soil. High levels can cause neurological damage and poor cognitive development in children. Have your home tested and if levels are high, remove lead paint and replace old pipes that could be infecting drinking water.
- Radon. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States. It is present in soil, but becomes harmful when trapped in homes. It is easy to fix, and can be detected with a simple home test kit found at home improvement stores.
- Carbon monoxide. Any gas appliance gives off carbon monoxide and, when not ventilated properly, it can build up in the home. Dangerous levels can lead to death. Furnaces, hot water heaters, dryers, stoves and space heaters are popular culprits. Preventing a problem is easy. Simply install carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home and evacuate if any is ever detected.
- E. Coli and other bacteria. These microscopic particles arrive in your home on your meat, produce and even your hands. They can cause severe gastrointestinal illness, and are extremely dangerous to children and the elderly. Clean counters, doorknobs, light switches, and other high traffic areas with a product that kills these bacteria.
- Burglaries. Most people feel safe in their home, but there are still over two million break-ins each year in the United States. Stepping up security is easy and may even earn you a discount on your homeowners insurance.
While you don’t want to live in fear, these are real issues that can cause harm to you and your family. Most of these problems have easy solutions, and some may even be covered by your homeowners insurance policy, so be sure to stay in touch with your independent insurance agent.
Protect your family from household dangers. Call Patriot Insurance Agencies at (704) 596-4911 for more information on home insurance.